Northfield/Wabash To Meet In Boys Tourney Final

Northfield and Manchester would tip off the boys varsity tourney, followed by Wabash and Southwood.  Northfield topped Manchester 57-32 and Wabash defeated Southwood 73-68.

In game one the Squires came out with some emotion to take a quick 4-0 lead and had it at 8-4 before the Northfield offense and defense came to life. At 8-4 the Norse would go on a 11-0 run to end the quarter leading 15-8. Ryan Givens hit to tie the score at 8 and then Justin Parker scored the last 7 points.

Parker kept his scoring string going, scoring the first bucket of the second quarter before Manchester’s Scott Baker stopped that run. Givens would hit a couple buckets to give Northfield a 23-12 lead before he would go to the bench with two fouls. The Norse out scored Manchester 6-4 the rest of the quarter to lead 29-16 at the half.

The third quarter was very low scoring, with Northfield winning the quarter 8-5.  The highlight of the quarter was Austin Flack banking in a three pointer as time expired to draw Manchester to within 37-21.

The pace picked back up in the fourth quarter with Northfield scoring 20 points and Manchester 11. Northfield had five players score in the quarter with Joe Frieden and Givens scoring 5 points each. Scott Baker scored 9 of his 21 points in the last quarter for Manchester.

Northfield was lead by Ryan Givens with 14 points. Justin Parker had 13, Chad Glasscock 10, Joe Frieden and Ryan Keaffaber 7 and Dustin Echard 6. Manchester was lead by Scott Baker with 21 points. Austin Flack had 5, Aric Howard 4 and Caleb Thomas with 2.

Game two was a classic Wabash County tourney game. Wabash and Southwood played a very up tempo, very physical contest. Both teams had multiple players score in an up and down the floor game.

In the first quarter Southwood went up 7-4 on a Collin Huston three point play and would not give up the lead the rest of the quarter. Wabash hung close with four different players scoring and trailed Southwood 19-14 after one. The Knights had six players in the scoring column.

Wabash started the second quarter with a Zack Hipskind bucket to make it 19-16 and eventually tied the score at 21 on a Breyton Nealis bucket and went ahead on another Hipskind bucket. Southwood would tie the score two more times before Nealis converted a three point play to put the Apaches up 29-27. Down 32-27 Southwood’s Devin Dale hit and Mike Cook connected on one free throw and Wabash lead 32-30 at the half.

The third quarter was up and down the floor with Wabash out scoring Southwood 18-14 to take a 50-44 lead after three. The Apaches had six players score in the quarter lead by Travis Shears 6 points. Southwood was lead by Connor Hobbs with 5 points. Hobbs and Dale both hit three’s for Southwood.

The two teams battle in the fourth with Wabash clinging to a four point lead when Southwood’s Codie Shafer fouled out with 2:26 to go. With the Knights height on the bench Wabash went to work and built the lead to 67-57. Southwood cut the lead to 67-61 on two Devin Dale free throws before Mike Cook fouled out with 1:17 to go. Hipskind would hit two free throws to build the lead back to 69-61. Hobbs hit two free throws and it was 69-63. Southwood was fouling to get back in the game, but the Apaches were up to the test hitting free throws. Hentgen hit one and then rebounded his second and put it back in for a 72-63 lead. Southwood’s third player, Connor Hobbs fouled out with 48.5 left. Wabash would hit one more free throw for the 73-68 final.

Zack Hipskind lead Wabash with 22 points. Travis Shears had 18. Alex Hentgen and Breyton Nealis had 8, Tyler Brewer had 6, Shea Beauchamp 5, Matt Henderson, Nate Price and Jack Holley had 2 each.

Southwood was lead by Mike Cook with 17 points. Connor Hobbs and Levi Winget had 14, Devin Dale 12, Collin Huston and Codie Shafer 5 and Jackson Blair 1.