Norse Win Barn Burner In First Round Of Pioneer Shootout

The Nortfhield boys varsity basketball team won a barn burner in the first round of the Pioneer Shootout Wednesday, edging Southwestern 72-68. Southwestern is from Hanover.

The entire game was as close as the final with the Norse holding the lead most of the first half, but trailing after both quarters.

Dustin Echard got things started for Northfield and then Chad Glasscock hit to make it 4-2. At 5-4 Ryan Givens grabbed an offensive rebound to make it 7-4, but a three point play from Southwestern tied it at 7 with 3:17 to go. Givens would hit again and the the Rebels answered with two buckets before Ryan Keaffaber hit before the buzzer and Southwestern led 12-11 after one.

The Rebels would stretch the lead to 14-11 to start the second quarter before Givens hit and then converted the old fashion three to make it 14-14. After a Rebel bucket, Glasscock drained a three to put the Norse back up 17-16. With 5:26 to go, Givens picked up his second foul and was forced to the bench with the Rebels hitting both free throws to make it 21-20 Northfield. Buckets from Ethan Stouffer and Glasscock stretched the lead to 25-20 before Southwestern faught back to tie the score at 26. The lead would never be more than two points by either team the rest of the quarter with Southwestern hitting at the buzzer and leading Northfield 36-34 at the half.

The two teams traded buckets coming out of the locker room, with Givens and Echard hitting. At 41-38 Collin Dawes would pick the pocket of his man and race for a layup, making it 41-40. With the game being called tight, Givens would pick up his third foul with 6:11 to go and then his fourth at 2:20. The Norse stayed within three with buckets from Stouffer and Glasscock and then at the buzzer Glasscock drained a three to knot the score at 52 with one to go.

The two teams would trade the lead six times to start the fourth quarter with Echard hitting to put the Norse up for what would be for good. Echard made it 58-57 and the Glasscock and Keaffaber built it to 63-59. Southwestern closed to 63-62 before a Keaffaber free throw made it 64-62 with 2:03 to play. The Raiders worked the ball that was knocked away, diving on the gound and rolling over calling timeout on what should have been a traveling call with 53.5 remaining. The Norse defense held and the fouling game was on. The Rebels fouled Dawes who hit 1 of 2 to make it 65-62. A bad Norse foul put the Rebels on the line with 44.9 to go, sinking both with 44.9 left and the Norse leading 65-64. The Rebels would foul Dawes again with 43.7 left. Dawes calmly sank both, making it 67-64. Northfield stole the ball again and on a great pass from Keaffaber to Glasscock for a layup made it 69-64. The Raiders hit and fouled with 17.0 left. Glasscock hit one free throw to make it 70-66. After an illegal pick was called on Southwestern they again fouled Dawes, who again sank both free throws to make it 72-68 with 2.5 left and the Norse survived.

Leading Northfield was Chad Glasscock with 23 points, 5 rebounds and 3 steals. Ryan Keaffaber had 15 points and 4 assist. Ryan Givens had 12 points and 8 rebounds. Collin Dawes had 10 points. Dustin Echard had 6 points, 5 rebounds and 4 steals. Ethan Stouffer had 4 points and Cody Gibson added 2 points.

The Norse will play Oregon-Davis at 11:30 Friday and then Covenant Christian at 6:00.



Start a Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *