Apaches Win Overtime Shoot Out Over Eastern

When you come to play the Wabash Apache basketball team you better have your shoe laces tied tight and be prepared for 32 minutes, or in Tuesdays case 36 minutes of baseline to baseline pressure, as the Apaches are coming at you. Tuesday at Coolman gym the Eastern Comets paid Wabash a visit with the pace of the game so fast if you looked away you would miss a play, as the Apaches out gunned the Comets in a barn burner, 95-93 in overtime.

The first quarter consisted of 34 combined shots, with Wabash subbing 13 players the first four minutes to set the tone that the game was going to be up and down the court and the Apaches were going to throw fresh legs at the Comets every minute. Wabash took off to a quick 4-0 lead with buckets from Breyton Nealis and Tyler Brewer before the Comets tied it up. Wabash would then score six straight with buckets from Tyler King, Nealis and Cody King. Each team would have runs with the pace so fast you couldn’t blink. After the dust had settled the Apaches were up 19-15 after the first quarter. Wabash had seven different players score in the quarter with Nealis and Brewer leading with 4 points each.

Eastern would come out and score the first 6 points of the second quarter to take a 23-19 lead before Mike Jones hit to stop the run. The Comets would then answer with two more buckets, one a three pointer to grab their largest lead of the night at 28-21. After a Kodi Clemons bucket, Grant Sailors would drain a three, then hit two free throws to knot the game at 28. Punch and counter punch would be the theme the rest of the quarter, with Tyler King hitting right before the buzzer to give Wabash a 37-35 halftime lead.

The two teams would come out guns a blazin in the third, scoring a combined 54 points with each team scoring 27. With the Apaches up 47-43 after Andrew Adamson’s second three pointer of the quarter, Wabash would hold a 4 to 7 point lead for most of the quarter. With just over a minute to play Eastern nailed a three, followed by two free throws and a bucket with .40 remaining to tie the score at 60. Tyler King would then steal the ball for a layup and was followed by a Nealis steal for a bucket and Wabash was up 64-60. The Comets would hit at the buzzer and Wabash led 64-62 after three.

Eastern would hit the first bucket of the fourth quarter to take the lead before Adamson hit from behind the arch for the third time, then Kodi Clemons converted a three point play to give the Apaches a 70-65 lead. Back came the Comets scoring the next five to tie the score. Two more time Wabash would go up four with Eastern answering. Tied at 80 Wabash fouled with 1:03 on the clock with Eastern missing both free throws. On the Wabash possesson the Comets would steal the ball and call timeout. Each team would have a possession with neither capitalizing and Eastern fouling with 24.5 left. Breyton Nealis would calmly sink both free throws for a two point lead. Eastern would answer with .12 left with Wabash not being able to score and it was overtime tied at 82.

After Eastern took a two point lead Andrew Adamson would nail his fourth three pointer to give Wabash an 85-84 lead. After a failed Comet possession they fouled with Wabash missing both free throws. Eastern would foul again with 2:16 remaining after another failure on the offensive end with the Apaches missing both free throws again. This time Eastern capitalized, draining a three pointer while being fouled, converting a four point play with 1:37 left to take an 88-85 lead. With 1:23 on the clock Adamson would hit to cut the Eastern lead to 88-87. After a Comet time out they threw the ball away, then fouled with 58.8 left, with Wabash missing both free throws again. The Comets hit with .43 remaining to go up 91-87 when Adamson did it again from behind the arch for the fifth time to cut the lead to 91-90. Wabash fouled with 23.3 left and Eastern converted both free throws to lead 93-90. Breyton Nealis would the drive and hit to make it 93-92, calling time out with 16.3 remaining. Out of the time out, Andrew Adamson would collect his fourth steal of the game, hitting Nealis for a layup. Nealis was fouled on the play, converting the three point play with .10 on the clock and leading 95-93. The Comets raced down the floor, wasting valuable time and calling time out with .04 on the clock. The Comets set up one final play that missed and the Apaches survived the marathon 95-93.

Leading Wabsh was Breyton Nealis with 21 points, 9 rebounds, 7 assist, 2 steals. Andrew Adamson added 19 points, 1 rebound, 3 assist, 4 steals. Tyler King had 13 points, 3 rebounds, 2 assist, 1 steal. Grant Sailors had 12 points, 5 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 steal. Tyler Brewer had 12 points, 2 rebounds, 1 steal. Kodi Clemons had 8 points, 3 rebounds. Taylor Vigar had 4 points, 3 rebounds, 1 assist, 4 steals. Cody King had 4 points, 9 rebounds, 1 steal. Mike Jones had 2 points, 5 rebounds, 1 steal. Jordan Blair had 3 rebounds, 1 steal.

The junior varsity held on to top Eastern 47-41.

Christian Hall led with 15 points. Isaiah Smith, Chase Dirig and Tyler Hough each had 9 points. Trevor Vest had 6 rebounds and 2 asist.

[dmalbum path=”/wp-content/uploads/dm-albums/wbbb21913/”/]


Start a Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *