Apaches Get Revenge In Sectional Opener Over Squires

Two weeks ago the Wabash football team had a 20 point lead over Manchester in the first half, only to have the Squires comeback to defeat Wabash. Friday night in the opening round of the sectional the two teams hooked up again for a rematch at Manchester in the opening round of the sectional with the Apaches grabbing an early lead and holding on for a 21-7 win over the Squires.

On their second possession of the game the Apaches would mount a 4 play drive that ended with a pass from Chase Dirig to Grant Dirig for 28yds with 8:01 remaining to grab a 7-0 lead after the Owen Yeadon kick. Manchester was answering the Wabash score with a big completion from Lucas Schilling and a 28yd run from Jacob Casper to take the ball to the Apache 15, but the drive stalled on four plays with Wabash taking over on the 14. Again it would be the Dirig connection that would strike on a 70yd score with 3:16 left and led 14-0 after the first quarter.

As the first quarter ended the Squires were mounting a drive and were on the Wabash 8. The Wabash defense would then come up big when Grant Dirig intercepted a Schilling pass in the endzone. The Manchester defense would answer to get the ball back to give the Squires another shot and the Squires responded. Connecting with passes to Evan Milam and Keelan Norwood the Squires moved the ball to the 3yl when Schilling found Milam on a scoring strike with 4:26 left to make it 14-7. With the tide starting to turn the Manchester defense would hold again and the offense went on the march. With :36 seconds remaining Schilling would connect with Bailey Ness on a score that was called back with the drive stalling and the half ending 14-7.

Manchester would get the ball first to start the second half with the Wabash defense needing a stop to change the momentum. The Apaches would step up and stop the Squires on four plays and the offense would answer the call. Starting on the 36 the Dirig connection would move the ball down the field. Dirig would then find Ben Dillon twice with the second catch being a 10yd TD strike with 5:21 left to increase their lead to 21-7. Both teams defenses would hold the remainder of the quarter with the score at 21-7.

Wabash would punt to start the fourth quarter with the Squires needing a score. The Manchester offense was struggling moving the ball and on a 4th and 9 executed a fake punt that Daniel Griese took the ball to the Wabash 32. Two plays later Owen Yeadon picked off a Schilling pass to stop the drive and the Apaches took over. Manchester would get the ball back and again it was Yeadon picking off Schilling with what probably the dagger. Wabash would work the clock and on fourth down Owen Yeadon placed a punt to the Manchester 10, forcing the Squires to go 90yds with time running out. The Apaches would then get their third interception of the quarter when Grant Dirig grabbed a pass, taking the ball back to the Squire 20. Wabash would run the clock out and pick up their first sectional win since 1996, 21-7.

Individual stats will be added as soon as received.

Wabash will now host Bremen next Friday

[AFG_gallery id=’459′]

Start a Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *