Knights Take Two From Squires In Varsity Action

It was the 2014 version of the girl boy quadruple header between the Manchester Squires and Southwood Knights Friday, this year at Manchester.

The junior varsity teams got the night started with the boys playing in the junior high gym and the girls at the high school. Manchester would take both jv games with the boys winning 42-28 and the girls 41-24.

Kane Gable led the Manchester boys with 12 points. Braxtin Wilson added 9, Bailey Ness 7, Adam Byers 6, Levi Hicks 6, Jake Schannep 2.

For Southwood Christian Deeter led with 10 points. Paul Farlow added 7, Jeffery Finicle 4, Ethan Roberts 3, Andrew Finicle 2, Blake Martz 2.

Bethany Collett led Manchester with 15 points. Erika Kendall added 10, Sydney Day 7.

The girls varsity game would be up next with Manchester taking an early lead, before the Lady Knights bounced back for a 39-33 win.

The first quarter would be a small run by each team. Manchester jumped out to a 6-0 lead off buckets from Celina and Cierra Carter, plus two free throws from Bailey Sewell. The Knights would answer with a Katie Stouffer bucket and two free throws from Haley Heath to make it 6-4.

Rae Bedke would score the first bucket of the second quarter to put Manchester up 8-4. It was 10-6 after a Cierra Carter bucket when the Lady Knights made a move. Makayla Ridgeway would hit to start an 8-0 run by the Knights for a 14-10 lead. Dring the run Katie Stouffer and Brooke Elliott had buckets with Ridgeway hitting two free throws. Drew Thompson would score the final points of the quarter on a bomb from behind the arch as Southwood led 14-13 at the half.

Bailey Sewell would give the Squires the lead back with a bucket to start the third quarter, but the Knights started to find Katie Stouffer who hit two buckets and a free throw as Southwood led 19-17. Ellie Milam would score to give Manchester their last lead of the game at 21-20 as Southwood finished the quarter scoring five straight to lead 25-21 with a quarter to go.

The Lady Knights would tie their largest out out of the game in the fourth with 14 points with just two coming from a bucket. Haley Heath would hit 6 free throws in the quarter as the Knights connected on 12 from the line to capture the 39-33 win.

The Lady Knights were led in scoring by Katie Stouffer with 14 points and Haley Heath with 12 points. Heath was 8 for 10 from the free throw lines and added three assists. Brooke Elliott scored 5 points, while Kassidy Atwood and Makayla Ridgeway both added four points. Taylor Heath concluded the scoring with two points. Abby Houlihan led the team with 9 rebounds while Taylor Heath had three steals. Katie Stouffer blocked two shots.

Leading Manchester was Cierra Carter with 14 points. Celina Carter added 6, Rae Bedke 4, Bailey Sewell 4, Drew Thompson 3, Ellie Milam 2.

The boys game would be a preview of the county tournament matchup between the two teams as they will collide on day one. No one expected anything less as the game went to the wire with the Knights pulling off a 50-46 thriller.

The Knights came out with the hot hand to start the game, getting buckets from Robbie Cole and Carson Blair to grab a 4-0 lead. Chainey Zolman would break the ice for the Squires with a free throw, but a Cole three made it 7-1. Zolman would get the only Manchester bucket of the quarter with 1:00 left as the first quarter ended 7-3.

The Squires would draw within two on a Koehl Fluke bucket to make it 7-5, but again it would be Blair draining a three followed by a Robbie Cole bucket to open a 12-7 lead. Again back would come the Squires, getting buckets from Fluke and Zolman to make it 12-10. The half would end with the Knights going on a 6-0 run. Alex Harmon and Mathew Nose would each hit two free throws with a Blair bucket in between for an 18-10 Southwood lead at the half.

The Knights came out inspired in the third quarter, getting a free throw from Noah Kirk and a bucket from Blair to extend their lead to 21-10. After an offensive rebound bucket from Chainey Zolman, Alex Harmon would hit two bucket, converting an old fashion three on one to make the score 25-12. Koehl Fluke would then nail a three and was followed by a three point play from Keelan Norwood to cut the Knight lead to 25-18, but again it was Blair hitting from long distance, followed by a three point play from Kirk to lead 30-18. The rest of the quarter would belong to Manchester as Fluke and David McAtee would hit twice each with Fluke draining a three at the buzzer, cutting the Southwood lead to one at 30-29.

Alex Harmon would get the first bucket of the fourth quarter before David McAtee hit back to back, giving Manchester their first lead of the game 35-33. Manchester would lead until 40-36 when Blair connected from behind the arch and was followed by two Alex Harmon free throws to give the Knights the lead back at 41-40. At 43-41 Fluke would hit his third three pointer of the quarter as the lead changed again with Manchester up 44-43. After trading buckets the Knights led 49-46 with .35 remaining. A couple missed Manchester shots and a Brandin Frazier free throw gave us the 50-46 final.

Leading Southwood was Carson Blair with Carson Blair 18pts 2 steals 2 assists 2 reb
Alex Harmon 12pts 6 blocks 8 reb 3 steals 2 assists
Robbie Cole 8pts 2 steals
Noah Kirk 4pts 3 assists 2 reb
Matt Nose 2pts
Clay Hinrichsen 2pts 2 reb
Brandin Frazier 2pts 2 assists 3 reb

Leading Manchester was Koehl Fluke with 22 points. David McAtee added 10, Chainey Zolman 10, Keelan Norwood 3, Braydon Sewell 1.

[AFG_gallery id=’506′]

Start a Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *