Rage Win Shootout

The Metro Rage traveled to Tippecanoe Valley on Thursday night to face the Vikings in a first ever meeting between the two teams.

The Rage scored first when Wyatt Davis (WMS) beat the Viking keeper when he redirected a deflected shot by Rage Forward Jacob Kretzmann (NHS) at the 14 minute mark. Davis would score again at the 17 minute mark when he beat his defender down the left side of the field and calmly placed the ball at the far post. Davis earned a hat trick for the night at the 23 minute mark on a crossed ball from Logan Peas (NHS) that beat Viking goalkeeper Cal Walter.

Trailing 3-0, the Vikings would counter with two scores of their own at the 27 and 30 minute marks to make it 3-2 at halftime.

The Vikings would tie the game at the 48 minute mark when Alvaro Gutierrez converted a penalty kick for a handled ball in the 18 yard box by a Rage defender. Less than 30 seconds later Rage forward Jacob Kreutzman would dribble through a host of defenders and unleash a shot that gave the Rage a 4-3 lead. Tippecanoe Valley countered on a set piece from John Salmon from 35 yards out that beat Rage Goalkeeper Tanner Proffitt (SHS).

Wyatt Davis would give the Rage the lead for good at the 54 minute mark when he beat his defender and dribbled around the goalkeeper who deflected his initial shot. Kreutzmann got his second goal of the night at the 70 minute mark when he dribbled through several defenders and beat the Vikings goalie to the near post.

The Vikings were awarded a second penalty kick of the night at the 75 minute mark, but Tanner Proffitt got his revenge on Alvaro Gutierrez when he stopped the shot. However, the Vikings would score their fifth goal of the night at the 75 minute mark to make it 6-5 in favor of the Rage. Seniors Adam Denney (SHS) and Noah Shear (NHS) would erase any doubts about a comeback at the 77 minute mark. Denney beat several defenders through the middle of the filed before laying off a soft diagonal ball that found shear on an overlap run on the right side of the field. Shear turned towards goal and unleashed a low, driven ball that was in the back of the net before the Viking goalkeeper could react.

After the game, Rage Coach Jeff Hobson commented that he was exhausted from just watching that game. “It appears that both teams did what they wanted to from the final score, but it was actually a very intensely played game. Both teams were missing starters due to injury and we just figured things out a little quicker than they did. Once they made some adjustments the game got very interesting.” Hobson went on to say that his seniors Denney, Shear, Mason Zolman (NHS) and Josh Hobson (SHS) were the key to the victory. “Our seniors showed great leadership tonight with their sustained effort. We won almost every 50-50 ball in the first half. I just felt like their work in the midfield was the key to all of our scoring opportunities.” Hobson went on to say that “We also had to reconfigure our defense without Adam Driscoll (WHS) and an injured Aidan Benysh (WHS). Parker Mays (SHS) was asked to play in a position he has never played and performed very well. Tanner Proffitt also had several big saves.”

The Rage are 7-2 on the season and return to action on Monday night at the Morrett Sports Complex when they host the Rochester JV boys’ team at 5:30pm.

Start a Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *