Squires Fall On Mystery Call

The Manchester boys basketball team was coming off a Friday night win over Peru and played host to Whitko Saturday. The Squires led most of the game before questionable call late in the fourth put Manchester behind the eight ball in a 69-62 loss to the Wildcats.

Whitko would hit a three to start the game before two Chase Fierstos free throws made it 3-2. The Wildcats were hot from behind the arch early, hitting three long balls to lead 9-5 when buckets from Koehl Fluke and David McAtee tied the score, then took the lead 10-9 on a Fierstos free throw. Trailing 12-10 Braydon Sewell would hit, followed by McAtee to tie the score at 14 before Whitko scored 3 straight. David McAtee would tie the score with a three before Whitko answered before the buzzer with a three and led the Squires 20-17 after one.

Fierstos would hit to start the second quarter and was followed by two McAtee free throws to grab a 21-20 lead and had a 25-23 lead after buckets from Keelan Norwood and McAtee. Down 26-25 McAtee would hit a three and a two, to give the Squires a 30-26 lead and led 33-28 at the half after a three point play from Norwood.

Whitko would hit two bombs to start the third quarter and grab a 34-33 lead when Norwood gave the Squires the lead back on a three point play. Back came the Wildcats to take a 38-35 lead before Fluke hit to start a 9-0 run to put Manchester up 44-38. During the run Sewell hit a two and a three with Fierstos connecting. Manchester led 44-40 after three.

Manchester had a 46-44 lead early in the fourth when Fierstos hit, followed by two Norwood free throws to grab a 50-44 lead and had a 54-47 lead after two Fluke free throws. The Wildcats kept launching the long ball and cut the lead to 56-55. With the Squires leading 59-58 the mystery call of the game came with 47.6 seconds remaining. Braydon Sewell fouled out, fouling the three point shooter and while walking to the bench was called for a technical foul. The Wildcats got 5 free throws from the foul and the tech, hitting three then got the ball. The Squires were forced to foul with Whitko hitting both free throws to lead 63-59 with 27.5 left. The Squires missed their shot and fouled with Whitko hitting two more free throws before going on to defeat the Squires 69-62.

Leading Manchester was Chase Fierstos with 20 points. David McAtee added 14, Keelan Norwood 11, Koehl Fluke 8, Braydon Sewell 7, Levi Hicks 2.


Manchester won the junior varsity game 62-32.

Leading the Squires was Brayden Casper with 15 points. Devon Rooney added 14, Kam Lester 9, Braxtin wilson 7, Kane Gable 4, Mason Meyer 3, Logan Parrett 2, Levi Hicks 2, Jake Schannep 2, Andrew McAtee 2, Heath Dierks 2.


[AFG_gallery id=’847′]

Start a Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *