Squires Pull Off Thriller In Sectional Opener

Every year there is an upset in sectional play and the Manchester Squires wasted no time in making that happen, trailing by 8 to Lewis Cass in the fourth before getting some timely shooting and four great bounces on the rim at the buzzer to defeat the Kings 57-56.

Cass would jump out to a 10-0 lead to start the game with the Squires struggling to find the bucket. David McAtee would finally get the goose egg off the score board with two free throws, but the Squires couldn’t buy a bucket and trailed 15-2 after one quarter.

Manchester would get the first two points of the second quarter off two Mason Hamby free throws and finally got their first bucket of the game at the 6:24 mark when McAtee hit to make it 16-6. Cass would continue to take advantage of their height, leading 20-9 when Manchester picked up the pace against the slower Kings, getting a bucket from McAtee that started an 11-0 run. After the McAtee bucket Koehl Fluke would hit a bucket and a three, followed by an Adam Byers bucket and one from McAtee to end the quarter to tie the score 20-20 at the half.

The Squires led just twice in the game and the first lead would come early in the third. Down 24-21 McAtee would hit, followed by a Fluke three for a 25-24 lead. Cass would respond with a 6-0 run to go up 30-25 before McAtee drained a three for a 30-28 score. Again Cass would respond with a 6-0 run and led 36-28 before a McAtee bucket. With Cass leading 39-30 Brayden Casper would connect from behind the arch and after a McAtee bucket the Squires trailed 41-35 after three.

Cass would get the first bucket of the fourth quarter before Kam Lester drained a three. The Kings would build their lead to 48-40 as the Squires remained as calm as their coach on the sideline, getting a three from Fluke, then buckets from Hamby and Casper to cut the deficit to 50-47. Cass would then score two straight buckets to make it 54-47 when Manchester lit up the gym. Hamby would hit a three, then score off a fast break to make it 54-52 before a Cass bucket made it 56-52. Hamby would then calmly drain two free throws with 46.7 left to make it 56-54 with the Squires fouling with 38.7 left. Cass would miss the free throw with the Squires racing down the floor and Fluke draining a three with 31 seconds left to give Manchester a 57-56 lead. Cass would call time out with 12.8 on the clock and set up a play to work the ball down low with the shot going up with just 4 seconds on the clock, bouncing on the rim four times before rimming out and the Squires prevailing 57-56.

Leading the Squires was David McAtee with 18 points. Mason Hamby added 14, Koehl Fluke 13, Brayden Casper 7, Kam Lester 3, Adam Byers 2.

Manchester will now play Rochester in game one Friday.


[AFG_gallery id=’1153′]

Start a Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *