Squires-Knights To Meet For Sectional Championship

It was semi-final night at the Oak Hill sectional Friday with two county teams still alive for a chance to advance to the championship game on Saturday. I game one the Manchester Squires took on Rochester, a team they defeated on January 20th 86-37.

Manchester would handle the Zebras once more, getting two quick buckets from Mason Hamby and raced out to a 9-2 lead on their way to a 59-36 win, Up 5-2 after Hamby’s first two buckets, he would hit again and was followed by a Koehl Fluke bucket to lead 9-2. After Rochester made it 9-5 David McAtee would hit with the Squires getting a bucket from Kam Lester to end the quarter with Manchester leading 13-7.

Rochester would score the first 5 points of the second quarter before the Squires went running. McAtee would hit a free throw that was followed by a Koehl Fluke three before two more McAtee buckets. Mason Hamby would score the final bucket of the quarter as Manchester led 24-12 at the half.

The Squires would own the third quarter. McAtee would get it started with a three and was followed by two Hamby buckets to get the lead to 30-14. Leading 30-16 Hamby and McAtee would score 5 straight, followed by a Lester bucket to go up 38-16. The Squires kept their foot on the gas with Adam Byers and Kane Gable getting in on the scoring action before Lester scored the last two buckets of the quarter with Manchester leading 48-24 with a quarter to go.

Rochester would cut the Squires lead to 20 points at 50-30 midway through the quarter before Hamby, Lester and Brayden Casper hit to get the lead to 56-30 before going on to win 59-36.

Leading Manchester was Mason Hamby with 19 points. Kam Lester added 11, David McAtee 10, Koehl Fluke 8, Adam Byers 4, Kane Gable 3, Brayden Casper 2.


Game two was the much anticipated rematch between #8 Southwood and #3 Oak Hill. Back on January 10th the Eagles handed the Knights one of their four losses 83-61, so not just a trip to the sectional championship, but revenge was on the mind of the Knights. Using a patient offense, then sometimes stepping on the gas the Knights kept the Eagles grounded the entire night, pulling off a 60-52 upset.

Southwood jumped out to a quick 4-0 lead off buckets from Peyton Trexler and Carson Blair before Oak Hill answered with 5 points to take a 5-4 lead. The Knights would respond however with Dallas Holmes draining back to back three’s, followed by a Trexler bucket off a steal to take the lead back 12-5. Matt Nose would give Southwood a 14-7 lead before Oak Hill hit the final bucket of the quarter with the Knights leading 14-9.

Oak Hill would cut the lead to 14-12 early in the second before Holmes traded buckets with the Eagles three times, one being a three for a 21-18 lead. After two Blair free throws and a Nose bucket the Knights led 25-18 before the Eagles ended the quarter with 5 straight points to cut the Southwood lead to 25-23 at the half.

Jeffery Finicle would get the first bucket of the third quarter before Oak Hill hit a three and a two, grabbing a short lived 28-27 lead. The Knights would answer with 9 straight points to end the quarter that started with a Nose free throw. Blake Martz would put the Knights up three with a long ball and was followed by a Trexler bucket and a three from Blair to give Southwood a 36-28 lead with a quarter to go.

As would be expected the fourth would be a thriller. Nose would start the scoring with a free throw to make it 37-28 before an Oak Hill three cut the lead to 37-31. Blair would answer with a bucket before another Eagles three made it 39-34. Blair would come right back, draining a three that was followed by a Nose lay up off a fast break to give the Knights a 44-34 lead with 4:20 to play. Matt Nose would match an Oak Hill three to make it 47-37 when the Eagles started to make a run. Oak Hill cut the Knights lead to 47-42 before two Trexler free throws made it 49-42 with 2:57 remaining. The Eagles kept coming, cutting their deficit to 49-45 when Trexler scored off a steal and was followed by another Nose lay up off a fast break to get the lead to 53-45. With 1:52 left the score was 53-49 when the Knights blew two fast break attempts as their lead was just 53-52 with 1:06 left. Trying to trap, the Eagles would foul Blair who calmly sank both free throws for a 55-52 lead. Oak Hill would miss a quick shot and foul with 54.7 left . After a missed free throw the Eagles would shoot quick and crash the boards with the Knights grabbing the rebound and finding Nose for a bucket and a 57-52 lead. Trexler and Blair would then hit free throws the final few seconds as the Knights clipped the Eagles wings 60-52.

Leading the Knights was Carson Blair with 16 points. Matt Nose added 15, Dallas Holmes 13, Peyton Trexler 11, Blake Martz 3, Jeff Finicle 2.

With the win Southwood will meet Manchester at 7:30 Saturday for the sectional championship

Sorry for less than the usual number of pictures. I got caught up being a fan !!!


[AFG_gallery id=’1155′]

Start a Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *