Apaches Rally To Clip Squires

It was opening night of sectional play with two Wabash County teams battling each other for the right to survive and advance to next week. Manchester traveled to Wabash and led until 2:53 left in the game when the Apaches completed their comeback in a 30-27 win over the Squires.

Each team would have just two possessions in the first quarter with neither defense giving an inch as the game was scoreless after one. The Squires would get on the board first in the second quarter when Hayes Sturtsman found Devin Rooney scored from 20yds out for a 6-0 lead. Wabash would answer just three minutes later when Devin Higdon hooked up with Austin Vinopal on a 45yd scoring strike with Higdon running in the two point conversion to give Wabash an 8-6 lead. Just 12 seconds later Sturtsman would find Trey Clark from 56yds out and after the Klayton Hendrix kick Manchester led 13-8 at the half.

The Squires would extend their lead early in the third quarter when Delton Moore scored on a 29yd run to make the Manchester lead 20-8. With 3;17 left in the quarter Higdon and Vinopal would hook up a second time, this time from 30yds away to make it 20-16 after Austin Wieland caught the two point conversion.

Midway through the fourth Sturtsman would extend the Squires lead again, scoring on a 12yd run with 7:47 on the clock to make it 27-16. Needing a quick score the Apaches would work quickly down the field and find pay dirt when Higdon and Vinopal converted the trifecta with 4:44 left. The two point conversion failed as Manchester led 27-22. After the kick off Manchester would fumble on the first play with Kaleb Kelsheimer recovering and giving the Apaches life. Wabash started on the Manchester 37 with Higdon scoring from 7yds out with 2:53 left, then converted the two point conversion for a 30-27 lead. It looked as though the Squires were going to answer on a big play when Sturtsman hit Rooney who raced down the field, being hit and fumbling on the one yard line with the Apaches recovering. The Manchester defense would step up and not give up a yard, forcing Wabash to punt. The Squires would get the ball on the Wabash 30 with 1:52 on the clock before the Wabash defense made a big play. A Sturtsman pass was tipped with Jared Holley intercepting and taking it back to the Manchester 49 where they would take a knee three times to secure the win.

Wabash stats

Passing : Higdon 12/26 for 177yds, 3TD

Rushing : Kelsheimer 9/29yds : Higdon 9/14yds, 1TD : Wieland 1/6yds : Haynes 3/2yds

Rec : Vinopal 8/169yds, 3TD : Vander Velden 2/25yds : Sodervick 2/8yds : Wieland 1/5yds

Manchester stats

Passing : Sturtsman 12/24 for 155yds, 1TD

Rushing : Moore 10/88yds, 1TD : Sturtsman 7/43yds, 1TD : Rooney 5/24yds, 1TD : Shepherd 3/12yds : McAtee 1/6yds

Rec : Clark 2/63yds, 1TD : Moore 3/35yds : Rooney 1/10yds : Yard 1/6yds

[AFG_gallery id=’1346′]

Start a Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *