Hit enter after type your search item
Wabash County Sports

Often copied, never equaled sports coverage

Apaches Win First Sectional Since 1967 In Thriller Over Manchester


The Wabash and Manchester basketball teams hooked up in a Hoosier Hysteria classic Saturday at Oak Hill that wasn’t decided until the last shot at the buzzer failed. The Apaches would prevail, winning their first sectional championship since 1967, 63-60.

It was punch ans counter punch to start the game as each team answered the others score. At 6-5 Dereck Vogel would give Wabash an 8-5 lead with a bucket that was answered by a Weston Hamby three to tie the score. The Apaches would answer with a bucket from Blake Gribben, followed by a back to back three’s from Jasper Walter to open a 16-8 lead. Manchester would come right back when Hamby converted a three point play, followed by a bucket from Brayden Casper. Wabash led 16-13 after one.

Kreeden Krull would score the first bucket of the second quarter to make it 16-15 before two free throws from Trenton Daughtry, plus a three followed by a bucket from Walter to give Wabash a 23-15 lead. Back came the Squires with Max Carter hitting twice which included a long ball, cutting the deficit to 26-24. Daughtry and Vogel would make it 31-24. Casper and Gribben would close out the scoring in the second quarter as the Apaches led 33-26 at the half.

Weston Hamby and Kam Lester would take over in the third quarter while the Apaches cooled off a bit. Manchester would cut the Wabash lead to one point four times in the quarter, but could never hit the go ahead bucket. The Apaches had four players score in the quarter with none scoring more than four points, holding on to a 45-44 lead after three.

Free throw shooting practice would pay huge dividends for Wabash in the fourth. Wabash did not hit a field goal until 2:12 left in the game when Walter scored. The Squires were making a run at Wabash, scoring and putting the Apaches on the line. Trenton Daughtry would connect at the charity stripe 13 times in the fourth with Kallen Kelsheimer, Gribben and Logan Vander Velden all hitting a free throw. The game would come down to the final shot after Daughtry hit two free throws with 7.2 seconds left, forcing the Squires to take a fast three. The shot bounced off the rim with Manchester getting the rebound and a second shot missing for the 63-60 final.

CLICK HERE for photos from the game

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This div height required for enabling the sticky sidebar
Ad Clicks : Ad Views : Ad Clicks : Ad Views : Ad Clicks : Ad Views : Ad Clicks : Ad Views : Ad Clicks : Ad Views : Ad Clicks : Ad Views :